Saturday, June 15, 2013

An LDS Perspective on Toddlers and Tiarras

Image Source
So, as I mentioned before, I love Netflix. Lately, I have been watching a few episodes of Toddlers and Tiaras. [I know, don't judge...I had good intention that I'll explain later ;) ]

This morning I was reading this Christain blog post. It really got me thinking about the true meaning of modesty. In her blog entry, Courtney quoted this scripture.
1 Timothy 2:9-10
In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;

But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.
 What does this mean, anyway?

I think what this scriptures is trying to say isn't that we should ignore our physical appearance or never dress nicely. What's it's getting at is that we need to change how we look at real beauty. Beauty should be defined by a person's heart-- the good that they do and the service that they give. Their character. Their kindess. Their love.

Modesty is more than just covering your sholders and monitoring hemlines. It's an attitude. A state of mind. A spiritual and emotional commitment.

This quote from lds.org explains things further:
"Like our dress and grooming, our language and behavior are expressions of our character. Our words and actions can have a profound influence on us and on others. We should express ourselves through clean, positive, uplifting language and in actions that bring happiness to those around us. Our efforts to be modest in word and deed lead to increased guidance and comfort from the Holy Ghost."
So, even though dress is a very important part of modesty, it isn't the only important factor. Our language and behavior are very important.

Okay, so back to Toddlers and Tiaras. It sickens me that these girls are being taught at such a young age to base their worth on their looks. Not only is it teaching them that their worth lies only in their outward appearance, it’s also teaching them to use their bodies to gain attention. We are encouraging these girls to have immodest attitudes. 

Watching this show has got me thinking about how I look at other people around me. So often, when we look at others we stop appreciating and start judging right at their physical appearance. We tend to "judge books by their covers" ignoring the wondrous stories each hold within. 

It is my prayer that both as a society, and on an individual basis we will stop basing beauty on size, weight, clothes, fashion, [and any other temporal thing you can think of to add to this list] and start looking at the good in people. Encourage both modest dress and modest attitudes. 

Remember the timeless words of 1 Samuel 1:7 "But the Lord said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the Lord seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart."

-Sarah
someecards.com - Dear Girls, Dressing immodestly is like rolling around in manure. Yes you'll get attention, but mostly from pigs. Sincerely, Real Men

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Comment. I dare you.

[Trust me. I only eat ice cream. Not people.]

Also, if you have a blog, feel free to leave me a link. I'd love to get to know you better!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...