Friday, June 14, 2013

Sweet Finds: The Legend of Johnny Lingo

I'm a Netflix guru. I regularly browse through new instant videos and update my instant que. In fact, this pinterest pin pretty much describes my life right now. lol ;)

Image Source

Even though I really love movies, I have a greater love for my Savior, Jesus Christ. Because of this, I try really hard to be selective of what I watch so that I can always be in a "good spiritual place", so to speak.


Image Source
I grew up with old Church movies from like the 60's that were so cheesy I was fighting irreverent laughter. [Please tell me I'm not the only one ;)]

When I saw The Legend of Johnny Lingo show up in the "Popular on Netflix" feed I was a little shocked. Not to be rude or anything, but the church's version of the story left little to be desired [honestly, the whole eight cow thing sort of ticked me off]. This movie was different, though. In fact, I can now say I have a new appreciation for the entire story.

In the story, Tama [who later takes on the name, Johnny Lingo], is found as a tiny, abandoned baby on the shores of a tiny island in the Pacific. He faces social ridicule and exclusion beyond belief. Through it all, there was one shining star in his life-- Mahana. She too was persecuted and made fun of. The two children formed a fast friendship that would soon be put to the test.

One night, Tama decides to try and escape their island to find a better life. Mahana wants to go, but decides to stay behind to help her drunken, widowed father. Tama promises that he will return someday to care for Mahana, but will he?

This heartfelt adventure emphasizes the importance of friendship, loyalty, and most of all the worth of a soul. It was a very clean movie that has a very important message, especially for teens. I would really reccommend this movie for children eight and older, not because of any bad content, but because the message is a little deep and there are a few scary ocean scenes.

So, hurry to Netflix.com and put "The Legend of Johnny Lingo" in your instant que. It's a movie you won't regret watching.

Happy Friday!

-Sarah

P.S. If you don't have netflix, you can find "The Legend of Johnny Lingo" on Amazon Instant Video here.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Comment. I dare you.

[Trust me. I only eat ice cream. Not people.]

Also, if you have a blog, feel free to leave me a link. I'd love to get to know you better!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...