Tuesday, August 13, 2013

How to Antique a Photo

Antiquing photos is a fun way to add personality and charm to your artwork. It looks like it takes hours, but it is really pretty simple. [Trust me, if I can do it, you can, too. :D]

So, without further ado...
Hold on. Before we start the tutorial we need to cover the basics of textures.

What is a texture? Well, it's a photo file with no real focal point that is made of pattern and well...texture. 
[I know, mind blowing, right? ;)]

There are lots of places that sell them online, but I like to create my own. 

Here are some examples from my portfolio that show my "homemade" textures in action.




Now, what would you say if I told you the texture image was a cropped portion of this:


Pretty crazy, huh? It's just what it looks like. Tractor tracks in mud. It doesn't have to be fancy, folks.

Here's another one of my favorite textures applied to a couple different Temple photos.

 


I love the soft look this texture provides. Can you guess what it is? It's concrete with a hue/saturation boost. The things we photographers do...


When photographing your own texture plates, look for subjects with a uniform pattern. Make sure to use high resolution settings on your camera for this picture so you can crop and enlarge it without worrying about pixelation.

Alright now, partners. Now that our ducks are all in a row, giddy up for this photography adventure! [Okay, I'll stop with the cheesy western jokes now. Maybe.]

Open the image you are using for your texture in a separate document. Select the entire canvas [ctrl+a] and copy/paste it into your original document.

 

Here's what your layers pallet should look like.







Now you can edit the photo as much as your little heart desires. To finish mine, I did some dodging and burning, applied a vignette, and increased the brightness and contrast. Just edit as you normally would and you're done!


This was a long explanation for a really simple technique. It may seem confusing at first, but once you get this down you'll use it time and time again.

Enjoy, and please comment if you have any questions!

-Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Comment. I dare you.

[Trust me. I only eat ice cream. Not people.]

Also, if you have a blog, feel free to leave me a link. I'd love to get to know you better!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...