Sunday, September 22, 2013

I Am Gold by Alex Boyé


Do your dreams ever seem overwhelming?

Sometimes mine do. There are so many things I want to accomplish. But then I look at myself in the mirror, and think can I, Sarah-- lover of ice cream and all things photography really do this?

And then I remember "I Am Gold" by Alex Boyé.


First off, Alex's story is absolutely amazing. As it says in his mormon.org profile video, when he was about twelve years old, his mother left him in London and went back to Nigeria. She was supposed to be gone for three weeks, but ended up being gone for eight years. Homeless at age sixteen, Alex overcame poverty, loss, and great personal struggles to become the wonderful musician he is today.

Now, Alex Boyé inspires people across the globe with his powerful music. 

In a Deseret News article from September 15, Alex explains the song, "I Am Gold" as follows:

“I was listening to the athletes being interviewed after they’d won their respective medals, and there was this pattern going on with the athletes," Boye said. "It was like, the ones that won the bronze (said), ‘Oh, I didn’t think I would make it this far. I’m just happy I got to represent my country.’ ... And then the silver medalist would say something like, ‘I tried my best.' But the gold medalist would say something like, ‘I’ve dreamed of this moment since I was a child, I knew I’d won before I even got here.’

“It kinda got me thinking ... about life outside athletics. What’s the quality of our daily thoughts and our conversations with our family ... at work (and with our) friends? Are we engaged in bronze talk, silver talk or gold talk?”

‘If you want to know what you’ll be like in five years from now, just listen to what you’re saying about yourself today,"

In the article, he also quoted 2 Nephi 24:24 [isn't that an awesome reference number? haha]. I absolutely love the message of this scripture.



Isn't that great? I truly believe that our thoughts have the potential to shape our actions and choices. Now don't get me wrong-- you can't make dreams happen just by thinking about them. You have to act, too. And sadly, sometimes even when we do act, we don't always win. But 'ya know what? We're still gold because we believed in ourselves and tried our best! How much better would life be if we stopped being our own worst enemy and instead, became our friend?

You are gold! 

Enjoy the music video, and have a fabulous Monday!

Hugs!

Sarah

4 comments:

  1. I saw this article, too! I love him. I love his music. I love this video.

    Someday, I'm going to see him perform live.

    Oh yeah.

    Good pick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the article, I completely agree! His music and his story are very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Comment. I dare you.

[Trust me. I only eat ice cream. Not people.]

Also, if you have a blog, feel free to leave me a link. I'd love to get to know you better!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...