Friday, September 27, 2013

The Temple: For the Dead and the Living

I am so thankful it is Friday. More thankful than a pilgrim on Thanksgiving. Wait, make that more thankful than an alive turkey the day after Thanksgiving. [Can you tell delicious Thanksgiving food is on my mind? Ever since the weather has cooled down in my neck of the woods, I can't stop craving pumpkin pie...]

Image Source

Anyway, instead of doing a Fashion Friday post today, I keep feeling like I need to talk about something else.

Something more important than fashion will ever be.

The Temple.



Last night, my ward had the privilege of going to do baptisms for the dead. [For more information on why my faith believes in this practice and how it works, visit the official website of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints on this topic, here.]

I love going to the temple because it provides two awesome gifts [well, there's a lot more than two, but for the sake of this post I'm summarizing a bit. ;)]

1. Saving ordinances for ourselves
2. Saving ordinances for our ancestors

But there's something else that doing temple work does-- It offers us peace.

Yesterday, I realized that sometimes I only focus on the ordinance parts of the temple and end up getting so caught in the motions of doing baptisms that I forget to stop and savor the sweet spirit that fills the Lord's house.

The session before ours was running late, so our ward had the opportunity to hear from the temple president. What really stood out to me was that he asked us to stop and think about each person we were doing work for. The names coming across the screen weren't some mystical character from years gone by. They were people. People with names. People with lives. Hardships. Joys. Struggles. Fears. Hopes. Dreams.

And they are our families.

At that moment it all became real to me. I wasn't just there doing some religious ceremony merely for technicality purposes. I was an important link in providing my ancestors with salvation. They had to go through this harsh mortal life without the gospel or the gift of the constant companionship of the  Holy Ghost. Can you even imagine? I don't know where I would be without those blessings in my life. But last night, I was able to help them get those gifts. And that's when the Holy Ghost hit me. I felt the spirit yesterday like I never have before felt in the temple. The peace that flowed through my heart was so strong. And what made all the difference was feeling the love and gratitude of those who had gone before.

All along, I thought I was at the temple to bless my ancestors. But it turns out, they were really blessing me. And for that, I will forever be thankful.

Sarah

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you had that awesome experience! I totally love the temple! I would live there if I could! I guess that's what the celestial kingdom is for, though. :D I'm so very happy for you! Each temple experience will be like this and better if you put in as much as you want to get out!

    Hugs back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Whitney! And I totally agree-- living in the temple would be awesome. Can't wait for heaven. :D

      Delete

I love hearing from you! Comment. I dare you.

[Trust me. I only eat ice cream. Not people.]

Also, if you have a blog, feel free to leave me a link. I'd love to get to know you better!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...