Monday, October 7, 2013

Blessings by Laura Story and a Self Pep Talk

Disguises can be wonderful.

For example, take the ever popular glasses and mustache combo. Quite lovely, eh?

Image Source
Or what about this totally sweet banana costume? Um, yes. I definitely need one of those. :D

Image Source
And what's not to love about Chef Goofy at Disney Land? Well, apparently this kid thinks there might be something questionable about the friendly character, but that's besides the point.

Image Source
Sometimes I do not like disguises. For example, when blessings come in disguise, life isn't always the most pleasant experience. [In fact, I think they expression on that little guy's face in the photo above describes my feelings during trials quite accurately.]

I hope you'll bear with me as I give myself a little pep talk. Sometimes it helps to put things like this into writing. Who knows, maybe you'll feel inspired, too. [Or maybe you'll forever have nightmares about chef Goofy and his undying scariness. If you do, I sincerely apologize.]

It's a fact of life-- hard times are going to come upon all of us. How do we maintain a positive attitude through it all and have the hope we need to endure patiently to the end?

Something that helps me tremendously is focusing on what I can learn from the hardships I face. I love what Laura Story says in her song, Blessings.
'Cause what if Your blessings come through raindrops
What if Your healing comes through tears
What if a thousand sleepless nights are what it takes to know You're near
What if trials of this life are Your mercies in disguise?
I have found this to be so true in my life. Even when blessings come in the form of raindrops, hurt, and trials, every single challenge given to me ends up shaping me into a better person and preparing me for what the Lord has in my path.

I love this quote from President Monson's talk in General Conference yesterday.


So what if, as Laura Story says so eloquently, our blessings really do "come through raindrops" and our "healing comes through tears"? "What if a thousand sleepless nights are what it takes to know [he's] near? What if trials of this life, the rain, the storms, the hardest nights, are [his] mercies in disguise?" Are we missing out on amazing blessings because they come to use dressed in a disguise so overwhelming we fail to acknowledge them?

To answer the initial concern of maintaining our faith and hope even during trying times, I'm going to let President Monson sum things up.


Whether your blessings are pouring out like obvious rays of delicious sunlight or they are coming through a disguise of frightening rain and thunder, please remember that God love you. He will never leave you alone. And like President Monson said, you will be a better person for it.


Hang in there and hold your head high. You're going to make it. 

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Comment. I dare you.

[Trust me. I only eat ice cream. Not people.]

Also, if you have a blog, feel free to leave me a link. I'd love to get to know you better!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...