Monday, October 21, 2013

Don't Be Blind to the Promptings of the Spirit

It's funny how we don't realize how nice something is until we don't have it anymore.

Image Source
For example, it is easy to forget how good it feels when your room is clean until it's messy.

Image Source

Ice cream tastes the best when you haven't had it in ages and have been craving it like a crazy person. [Okay, this one is only partially true...I'm pretty sure ice cream always tastes good. :D]


Image Source
You don't realize how good it is to have your parents bug you about doing your laundry until they go out of town and you have nothing. to. wear. [Not even clean underwear.]

And speaking from my experience this week, it's easy to forget how lovely it is when your eyes work without hurting until you wake up with your left eye swollen and throbbing like a bruised banana must feel.

Allow me to explain.

This Wednesday, I woke up with a horrible pain in my left eye. When I looked in the mirror [always a scary thing to do in the morning], I was extra startled to see that my eye was even more puffy than usual. My eyelid hurt like no tomorrow [I didn't even know my body had nerves there!] and it felt like a giant rock was stuck in my eye.

The logical thing to do in this situation is to call the doctor. But, I have a confession: I really dislike going to the doctor. Especially the eye doctor. Bright lights aimed at my face and being commanded to read random letters in the alphabet until my head aches isn't exactly my cup of tea [ahmm, I mean hot chocolate] if you know what I mean.

I had a bunch of things I needed to get done that day and was having a mini panic attack about going to the doctor, so I begged my Mother to just wait one more day until she made an appointment. Perhaps my eye would miraculously heal and everything would be fine. 

But, thankfully my sweet Mom had felt a prompting from the Holy Ghost to take me to the doctor and thus resisted my woeful murmurings and called anyway. Boy, am I thankful.

Upon examination, the doctor concluded that I had a huge stye in my eye. Basically, it's a clogged oil pour in your eyelid [I know...I had a pimple in my eye. Gross!] that swells up and causes a lot of irritation and swelling. They're usually harmless, but in some cases they can get infected and since your eye is so close to your brain, the complications can be serious. The doc sent me home with some antibiotic eye drops and instructions to use a warm compress to reduce the swelling.

I used the drops, and was extremely grateful when my eye hardly hurt at all the next morning. But, the scary thing is, since the eye drops worked so quickly, it means my eye was infected. Had I waited much longer to go to the doctor, things could have been a lot worse.

So, can the story of my doctor phobia and the stye in my eye [ha! It rhymes] tie into the gospel? You betcha!

As extremely thankful as I am that my Mom was able to listen to the promptings of the spirit and get me the help I needed, I feel ashamed that I let fear, anxiety, and my busy schedule get such a hold on me that I didn't receive or heed the promptings myself. This experience really got me thinking. Am I missing out on the promptings of the spirit in other areas of my life?

I love this quote from Elder Neil L. Anderson:


Because heeding the promptings of the Holy Ghost is so central to our Father in Heaven's sacred work, it is vital that we do not become "blind" to the whisperings of the spirit.

Says Elder Faust:
"I fear that some members of the Lord’s Church “live far beneath our privileges” with regard to the gift of the Holy Ghost. Some are distracted by the things of the world that block out the influence of the Holy Ghost, preventing them from recognizing spiritual promptings. This is a noisy and busy world that we live in. Remember that being busy is not necessarily being spiritual. If we are not careful, the things of this world can crowd out the things of the Spirit."
"If they would open their hearts to the refining influence of this unspeakable gift of the Holy Ghost, a glorious new spiritual dimension would come to light. Their eyes would gaze upon a vista scarcely imaginable."
It is so easy to become busy, scared, and stretched all too thin in this crazy world. But I know that as we make time to stay close to the spirit our lives will be enriched and as Elder Faust said, "a glorious new spiritual dimension [will] come to light".

Let us ever be mindful of the voice of the Holy Ghost.

Until next time,
Sarah


2 comments:

  1. I love this. Also, we should do a blog swap sometime because blog swaps are fun and I love your blog. Do you agree? Email me! feelmysunlight@yahoo.com :)

    ~WhitneySue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, that would be super fun! I will definitely be e-mailing you. :) Thanks!

      Delete

I love hearing from you! Comment. I dare you.

[Trust me. I only eat ice cream. Not people.]

Also, if you have a blog, feel free to leave me a link. I'd love to get to know you better!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...