Friday, October 18, 2013

How to Make a Skirt More Modest


I have an odd nickname. It's embarrassing and weird <shutters and blushes>, but I trust you to keep a secret. ;)

Throughout my middle school years, I was known as "Giraffe Girl". [My pediatrician actually gave the name to me. Funny how nicknames can be created by the most random of people sometimes.]

Image Source

The obvious assumption one would most likely make upon hearing this teasing expression is that I have a long neck. Unfortunately, my neck is quite short and squatty, so guess again.

Have you ever noticed how long and gangly a baby giraffe's legs are compared to the rest of its robust frame? That's pretty much they way my legs are-- disproportionally long. [Like, seriously, you know you have problems when specialty modest dresses from brands like ModBe and Down East Basics are still too short. :D]

So, what's a girl to do when she falls in love with a dress or skirt that isn't quite modest? Here are a few suggestions that have really helped me:


Color blocking is a super huge trend right now, and Kristina's tutorial on using this technique to lengthen a dress is great!


I have a slip very similar to this one made by Jen at iCandy Handmade. It makes dress shopping so much easier. Not only is it convenient to style and easy to make, but it's also very classy and stylish. Yay for lace! :) Read Jen's awesome tutorial, here.


And what's not to love about ruffles, especially when they are covered in polka-dots? Find out how to make your own in this awesome tutorial by Kristina at Clothed Much.

What do you do to make your skirts and dresses modest? I'd love to hear your suggestions!

Have a wonderful Friday, everyone!

Yours truly,

Sarah, a.k.a. Giraffe Girl ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Comment. I dare you.

[Trust me. I only eat ice cream. Not people.]

Also, if you have a blog, feel free to leave me a link. I'd love to get to know you better!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...