Thursday, October 3, 2013

Preparing for Conference (More than Sticky Buns and PJ's)

Come listen to living prophets

I love General Conference.

I love getting to watch church in my pajamas.

I love feasting on the words of Christ [and super delicious junk food].

I love eating ice cream out of the carton with a spoon.

I love girl's night out during priesthood session.

But most of all, I love the spirit that I feel.
 
 

Even though I have a fantastic love for sleeping in and consuming vast quantities of snacks, I've found that there is more to getting ready for conference than making the sticky buns and rolling out of bed at 9:59. You have to prepare yourself spiritually.

I'm no expert. [In fact, I'm quite far from it. I'm just a teen with a blog who loves ice cream and the gospel]. However, I have learned something in my short mortal experience that I'd like to share.

I think what has helped me the most in preparing for General Conference is praying for and seeking answers. I love this quote from Elder Holland:

"If we teach by the Spirit and you listen by the Spirit, some one of us will touch on your circumstance, sending a personal prophetic epistle just to you."

 
So, the first part of that equation is a guarantee-- I'm pretty sure the speakers at conference will be speaking by the power of the Holy Ghost. But what can I do to make sure I am listening by the spirit?

I've found that when I come to General Conference with a question I have prayed about and pondered, the spirit that is felt throughout the meetings helps me be more receptive to the promptings of the Holy Ghost that usual. Even though no one says "Sarah, The Lord wants you to know _______________.", or there's not always a talk that directly covers what I'm going through, I always come out with an answer. I think it's because listening to the talks at conference invites the Holy Ghost into my heart and my home and makes finding answers to prayers much easier. It fills me with a sense of God's love and a desire to do good. In short, I guess conference opens the window of my mind so that God can dump in all the blessings he sees fit.

The other thing that helps me is journaling. I have the short term memory of Dory from Finding Nemo.



Thus, I know that if I have any hope of remembering the promptings of the Holy Ghost, I have to write them down. Sometimes I Photoshop my favorite quotes. Sometimes I jot a quick note in my planner. Other times it's just a little sticky note on my bathroom mirror. Whatever it is-- I challenge you to do something to help you remember the revelation and inspiration you get this weekend. You won't regret it. It seriously makes a world of difference.

I can't express enough how excited I am to be able to listen to the counsel of the Lord through the instrument of our living prophet, Thomas S. Monson as well as other church leaders. I know the messages that will be shared at General Conference are for our good. They are for our time. They are for us. As we thoughtfully prepare for the meetings this weekend, I know we will be blessed beyond measure. 

Hmm...I better go look up my sticky buns recipe. The intro to this post made me hungry. ;)
 
What are your General Conference traditions, and how do you prepare to hear the word of the Lord? Leave me a comment. I'd love to know!
 
Sarah
 

2 comments:

  1. Oh Sarah, I love, love, love your blog! I'm so blessed that you commented on mine clear back in July. Oh yeah...I'm a bit (a lot) side-tracked. I found you - I'm grateful you left me your blog address.

    I too am looking forward to Conference. We just returned to California from Ephraim and I really wanted to stay for this weekend and go up to see Conference. I thoroughly enjoyed your message and your little ice cream message made me crack-up!

    Thank you for leaving a comment on Off Wellman Way (rocknoaksranch.com) I'm sorry I haven't responded to your comment. I just saw it just this minute. I've been really, really sick--getting over it and really just another bump in the road, but a Testimony builder. Then, my daughter was pregnant, we had vacations, parties, I started the grandma knitting, and then she had her baby! In just a blink, here it is October. I'm in shock! I literally abandoned my blog. Thank you Sarah and for the sweet message. SusanLaz on Genealogy, Two Full Days And ... I'm Doing It, Again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan! Thank you for stopping by my blog! And no worries, I totally understand busy schedules. :D Your comment absolutely made my day.

      I hope you feel better soon! Eat lots of ice cream. I hear it helps. ;)

      Hugs!

      Sarah

      Delete

I love hearing from you! Comment. I dare you.

[Trust me. I only eat ice cream. Not people.]

Also, if you have a blog, feel free to leave me a link. I'd love to get to know you better!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...