Thursday, October 10, 2013

Sweet Finds: Daughter of Helaman

Image Source
I love books.

Thick ones. Thin ones. Electronic versions. Paperbacks. Hardbacks.

Historical fiction. Fantasy. Sci-fi. Jane-Austen re-makes.

Encyclopedias. Atlases. Ya know. It's pretty cool. [Okay, so I don't really sit around reading atlases and encyclopedias all day, but I've been known to do it on occasion. ;)]

But in all seriousness, Daughter of Helaman by Misty Moncur is hands down one of the best books I have ever read. It's a perfectly awesome combination of two of my greatest loves-- Mulan and Book of Mormon.

Image Source
The story follows Keturah, a fifteen year old Nephite teen who temporarily forgoes typical traditions of housekeeping and homemaking to secretly train for battle. Taking place during the time of the stripling warriors, the novel details Keturah's experience working with the young men and the hardships they faced as they sacrificed to protect their families.

What I loved most about the book was the historic and cultural knowledge I gained while reading it. While of course Keturah is a fictional character, Misty Moncur really made the Book of Mormon come alive. I always thought I knew the story of the Stripling Warriors, but this book personified it for me. I learned so much about how the Anti-Nephi-Lehies lived and what their lives were like. I really feel like I understood their fears, hopes, and dreams in a very personal manner. The stripling warriors became real to me, the story astounded me, and my testimony of the Book of Mormon grew leaps and bounds.

If you want a book that will keep you on the edge of your seat [or bench, couch, bed, or wherever you read...just don't read on cliffs or you might fall. :P], wraps you into the story, boosts your testimony, and helps you fall in love with the Book of Mormon, this novel is for you.

If my persuasion was persistent and powerful enough to convince you of the wonders of this amazing story, you can purchase the book for yourself on Amazon, here.

Happy reading!

Sarah

P.S. Just a warning-- The series is very addictive. I was virtually unproductive for about a week while I read the first four books. Only the first two novels in the series are officially published, so to finish the series you have to read it on Misty's page at Goodreads.com. But it's free and absolutely fantastic, so I'm not complaining. :D

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. Oh my goodness. Oh my goodness. I'm going to read this. Oh deary me, I'm soooo going to read this.
    Have you read the Work and the Glory series? BEST BOOKS EVER!!!! They seriously strengthened my testimony of the prophet Joseph Smith. You should give them a try if you haven't already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love Work and Glory, too! I've only read the first two, but they are awesome. I can't wait to finish. :)

      Delete

I love hearing from you! Comment. I dare you.

[Trust me. I only eat ice cream. Not people.]

Also, if you have a blog, feel free to leave me a link. I'd love to get to know you better!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...