Saturday, October 5, 2013

What I Learned from General Conference

Where do I even begin?

Today's sessions of the Semi-Annual General Conference of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints were exactly what I needed.

As you know, the mission of my blog is to help readers celebrate the "sweet things in life". There is so much doom and gloom in the world that makes it easy to forget how blessed we really are. But, even in the midst all the drama and junk that's out there, through the gospel of Jesus Christ we can be happy-- more happy than even ice cream will ever make us. [That's a lot of joy! :D]

I really felt like General Conference hit this topic on the head. 

I loved this quote from Elder Holland:


There is still good out there! If we have faith, awesomely-wonderfully-fabulous things are possible. Never stop believing.

This quote from Elder Packer really touched me, too:


Walking down the hallways at school, it feels like all the filth of this world is caving down on me. And not just the literal litter that people throw on the ground or the gum they stick under the desks [Ewww!]. Spiritual garbage abounds, and that scares me more than germs ever will. Sometimes, I feel like I have about as much influence as a goldfish in a sea of great white sharks. But, Elder Packer's talk reminded me that I am making a difference. No matter how hard it is to deal with the social woes of high school, and no matter how much I get teased for being a Mormon, it won't matter in the end. Righteousness always prevails. So let them mock, or as Nephi says, let them "point the finger of scorn" [I love that phrase. :D]. As long as I'm on God's side of the line, it won't matter what anyone else thinks.

Now, on a lighter note, how many of you felt like this when Elder Holland rose to speak? I sure did! haha

Wasn't his talk amazing?

Image Source
I can't wait for tomorrow. What a blessing it is to be able to hear the words of the Lord through the voice of living prophets!

What were your favorite parts of General Conference?

Hugs!

Sarah



4 comments:

  1. Sarah, I didn't realize until I read this that you're a teenager (very observant here...). I didn't realize it because you write so well. You've got skills, girl! I hope you keep writing, because you've got a gift.

    Another great post. Love the paragraph about the spiritual filth caving in on you. That is exactly how I feel. I'm so grateful for the blessings of the gospel. Ithey keep me going...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your sweet comment! It totally made my day! I don't feel like that great of a writer, but your comment has given me a lot of confidence! And I agree completely with what you said-- the gospel is what keeps me going.

      Thanks for reading and for taking the time to comment! I'm so thankful you left a note on my "Parable of the Porta Potty" post a while back so that I found your blog. I absolutely love reading it. You inspire me!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you! I think you are totally amazing, too!

      Delete

I love hearing from you! Comment. I dare you.

[Trust me. I only eat ice cream. Not people.]

Also, if you have a blog, feel free to leave me a link. I'd love to get to know you better!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...