Thursday, December 5, 2013

Symbols of Christ


If you've been reading my blog for a while, you're probably aware that I love searching for symbols and weird analogies all the time. From porta-potties to hair spray, I believe pretty much anything can be turned into a gospel lesson.

As you can imagine, my analogy making habits get put to good use during the Christmas season. Everywhere we turn during the holidays it seems that there is some kind of decoration or tradition that points our minds and hearts to Jesus Christ.

I found this poem by Valerie L. Plowman on this blog and thought it was just too awesome not to share.

Remember Christmas

by Valerie L. Plowman

Red reminds of the blood He spilt
to wash away and cleanse all of our guilt
White is for His actions, most pure.
Through sinless perfection, He did endure.
Green is for the life eternal
we can obtain through our Lord supernal.
The star shines like the one so bright
that twinkled above that first Christmas night.
The fir tree is for many things:
the tree of Jesse--the father of kings,
and for the needles pointing to the Lord--
that little babe we all adored.
The wreath shows one eternal round;
the begin' of the Lord cannot be found.
The lights remind us that this babe
is the light of the world, and born to save.
The candy cane is for the crook;
not one sheep or lamb the shepherd forsook.
The Christmas bells we love to ring
proclaim joy! The birth of a newborn king.
These symbols remind us that we,
more like the three wise men all now should be.
Earnestly seeking to find the new babe
who humbly in a manger laid.

It is all too easy to become wrapped up in all the material aspects of Christmas and forget that it is really about celebrating our savior, Jesus Christ. Finding meaning in decorations and symbols we see every day is a great way to keep Christ in our hearts all through the year.

What do you do to keep Christ in Christmas?

Sarah

P.S. I'm working on finishing up a couple of Christmas books to review pretty soon! Stay tuned... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Comment. I dare you.

[Trust me. I only eat ice cream. Not people.]

Also, if you have a blog, feel free to leave me a link. I'd love to get to know you better!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...