Sunday, December 8, 2013

The Spirit of Christmas

Image Source
I wholeheartedly agree with Buddy the elf. Smiling is totally my favorite thing to do [well, besides eating ice cream. But eating ice cream does make me smile, so....]

As you've probably guessed, I watched Elf  last night. After I finished laughing my head off at Buddy making meals of spaghetti and syrup and then chopping down a Christmas tree from Central park, I really got thinking about the end of the movie.

About ten minutes before the film is over, Buddy is walking through New York City when he sees Santa's sleigh start to malfunction and fall to the ground. He runs to help and learns that the sleigh's turbo engine has fallen off. Santa's sleigh used to work solely off the Christmas spirit, but with the recent hustle and bustle that had begun to fill people's lives, spirits had been low across the world. Without the engine, the sleigh couldn't fly. That is, unless people started believing again. 

After an awkward encounter with a news reporter, the discovery of Santa's list, and some spontaneous Christmas caroling, people's hopes returned and the sleigh was able to fly once more, and this time without the aid of the engine. 

So what does this have to do with anything?

The fact that the sleigh ran off of the fuel of "Christmas Spirit" was really intriguing to me. The more I thought about it, the more I started wondering what the Christmas spirit really is.

President Monson explains it perfectly:



All of those feelings of charity, love, joy, and peace that come with Christmas are from our Savior, Jesus Christ. 

He is the true reason for the season. He is the spirit of Christmas. He is our Savior and Redeemer. The joy and love that He brings does more than power a sleigh. It powers lives. As we invite Him into our homes and hearts I know we will be blessed.

Merry Christmas, and remember: we elves like to stick to four main food groups-- candy, candy canes, candy corn, and syrup. ;)

Sarah

P.S. Don't forget to watch the First Presidency Christmas Devotional tonight at 6 p.m. MST. You can stream it live from broadcast.lds.org.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for reminding me about the Christmas Devotional! I just heard about it for the first time two hours ago from my Mormon neighbor. I was like, that's so cool I needa watch it!!!! And then I forgot. But then you reminded me. So thank you.
    #convertproblems
    <3 Marie-Rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha No worries! I'm glad I was able to help. :)

      Delete

I love hearing from you! Comment. I dare you.

[Trust me. I only eat ice cream. Not people.]

Also, if you have a blog, feel free to leave me a link. I'd love to get to know you better!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...