Monday, December 30, 2013

"Beauty Is" by Jenny Phillips


Image Source
My eyes were open wide as I read Truth, Lies, and Your Self-Worth by  Mindy Raye Friedman in the January 2014 New Era last week. You know those talks and articles that feel like they were written just for you? This was one of those for me.

With the New Year comes many hopes and goals regarding what we wish to accomplish in the future. But as the article points out, "it also brings a wave of worldly messages telling you that a new year requires a new you. These messages say that you can only be happy if you lose weight, get new clothes, find more friends, and so on. You hear these messages in the media, at school, and sometimes from those closest to you."

The idea that happiness and beauty come from the outside is as wrong as putting sardines on your ice cream sundae.

Sister Friedman further explains:

"Changing your physical appearance or material possessions may make you feel better for a little while, but it doesn’t really do anything to change your worth or your eternal happiness. That’s because your worth is already established."


When I read that, the words lept out at me like a Tigger on a sugar high. [There's a weird yet effective anology for you. haha]

It's easy to feel like you're not important if you don't look like the girls on Pinterest or the models in the magzines. The world is more confused about real beauty and true worth than ever before.

Even though the world is confused, we don't have to be.

I love this quote from President Monson that the article shared:


Image Source
God loves us no matter what we look like, and when all is said and done, His opinion is the only one that matters.

Beauty Is by Jenny Phillips continues to explain what it means to be truly beautiful.

As you're making goals for this year, remember to focus on what really matters. True beauty is more beautiful than any nose job or make-up application. It is deeper than any hair-do or shade of eyeshadow. Real beauty is pricesless.

This year I want to become truly beautiful.

Sarah


2 comments:

  1. I know this is really random, but I happened upon this blog post when I was searching for something else with my name in it, and I just wanted to say thank you. You never know if or when something you create will influence someone else, and it's wonderful to hear that you needed that article. Even if it was a year and a half ago :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for commenting, Mindy! It humbles me so much to know that something I wrote helped someone else. <3 Sending lots of hugs your way!

      Sarah

      Delete

I love hearing from you! Comment. I dare you.

[Trust me. I only eat ice cream. Not people.]

Also, if you have a blog, feel free to leave me a link. I'd love to get to know you better!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...