Wednesday, December 25, 2013

What Shall We Give?

What shall we give to the babe in the manger,

What shall we offer the child in the stall?

Incense and spices and gold we've a-plenty-

Are these the gifts for the king of us all?



We watched this Mormon Message in Seminary last week and it really got me thinking.

Christmas is a celebration of Christ's birth. Essentially, it's like a giant, world-wide birthday party for our Savior. No birthday party is complete without presents, so what can I give to the one who has given me and all mankind the greatest gift imaginable? 

Surely the King of Kings is't interested in toys, new socks, or even fine jewels. He, the creator of the world isn't seeking material goods. What He wants is my heart. And that is something I want to be willing to give.

What shall we give to the babe in the manger? Maybe it's an old habit you've been wanting to break. Maybe a good habit you want to establish. Perhaps it's speaking with more love towards your family or being more gentle with yourself. Worrying less? Trust God more? Praying day and night? Reading scriptures every day?

Whatever it may be, I encourage you to think about what you could do to better yourself. I'll be doing the same. Truly, the refining of our hearts is one of the greatest gifts we can give.

My new years resolutions came a little early this year, but I'm okay with that.

What will your gift to the Savior be this Christmas?

Wishing you all the joys of the season [and peppermint ice cream],

Sarah 

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like the Mormon version of a Catholic's Lent :) which is good, cuz the idea of making a change to become a better person is something we should all always be working on.

    (Lent is 40 days from Ash Wednesday to Easter, where you typically give up something like chocolate, but you're also supposed to do stuff like "pray more" or "read scriptures more" or "be more kind")

    <3 Marie-Rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lent is awesome! My family has honored that before, too! I agree-- we should work on being better the whole year. Yay for holidays! They are sure awesome motivators!

      Hugs!

      Delete
  2. I love it how you say changing an old habit or creating a new one can be a gift to our Savior. Christ only wants our hearts (anyone catch the studio c reference? ;).

    Lent is so awesome! I did it with my friend and think its a good chance for anyone to turn their hearts to God just a little bit more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet comment, Eliza! I agree, Lent is really cool. I think I might observe it this year.

      And hahahaha I love Studio C. "He doesn't want your money. He wants your heart." Best line ever. :D

      Delete

I love hearing from you! Comment. I dare you.

[Trust me. I only eat ice cream. Not people.]

Also, if you have a blog, feel free to leave me a link. I'd love to get to know you better!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...