Monday, February 3, 2014

Mark Twain, President Monson, and Roar by Katy Perry



You know those foods that sound like really weird combos but end up actually going great together? Just like bacon and a cupcake or french fries and a milk shake prove to be fabulous flavor combinations, somehow quotes from Mark Twain, President Monson, and Katy Perry ended up mushing together to teach me a great lesson about courage. It makes sense in my head. Let's see how it translates to paper...err... I mean a blog post. ;)

I have loved Roar by Katy Perry since I first heard it. [But as you now know, I'm a sucker for song covers, so I included Tyler Ward and Two World's take on the tune in this post.] 

The ballad of bravery just drew me in. I think we can all relate to the lyrics in the first verse.

I used to bite my tongue and hold my breath
Scared to rock the boat and make a mess
So I sat quietly, agreed politely
I guess that I forgot I had a choice
I let you push me past the breaking point
I stood for nothing, so I fell for everything

Those words are so true. If we don't stand for anything, it's a whole lot easier to fall for whatever temptations come our way.

Cue Mark Twain:

Image Source

As Twain so elegantly states, courage really is the foundation of integrity. In order to live righteously, it is imperative that we decide what our standards are and then stick to them, no matter what. 

However, I'd like to point out that courage doesn't always roar as Katy Perry says. Sometimes I think we get stuck thinking that in order to show true courage we have to be faced with death or severe danger. Yes, sometimes there are Abinidi and Joan of Arc experiences. But sometimes dedication to one's beliefs is manifested in more quiet, but just as powerful ways. In the words of President Monson:

Image Source

Often times it's through those simple things we do as disciples of Jesus Christ that we can roar the loudest. Take for example helping a friend, reading the scriptures, sticking up for someone being bullied, refusing to gossip, talking to the girl who sits alone at lunch, sharing the gospel, helping a sibling, loving and honoring your parents.... you getting my groove?

The bottom line is, as we live the gospel of Jesus Christ our entire life becomes an awesome roaring example of "standing as a witness of God at all times and in all things and in all places".

To quote the song again:

I got the eye of the tiger, a fighter, dancing through the fire
'Cause I am a champion and you’re gonna hear me roar.


My friends, we've got something even cooler than the eye of a tiger. As we dance through the fire of adversity, we are armed with the gospel of Jesus Christ. Let's let our lights shine for all to see!

Hear me roar!

Sarah

4 comments:

  1. I love how you put these seemingly unrelated people's quotes together to create such a great message on courage! You are amazing!
    -Shelby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shelby! I think you are amazing, too! <3

      Delete
  2. Beautifully awesometastic post. And I absolutely LOVE Roar. I love the quote from President Monson, too. I shall add one from Dory- "Just keep swimming!" :D

    <3 Marie-Rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, I love the idea of throwing Dory into the mix! Disney makes everything more awesome! :D And thank you for your compliments, Marie-Rose!

      Hugs!
      Sarah

      Delete

I love hearing from you! Comment. I dare you.

[Trust me. I only eat ice cream. Not people.]

Also, if you have a blog, feel free to leave me a link. I'd love to get to know you better!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...