Monday, February 17, 2014

Music Monday: How Firm a Foundation



How Firm a Foundation has always been one of my favorite hymns. I love its ballad-like melody and its strong, encouraging message. However, in Sunday School yesterday, I thought about it differently. So, of course, I had to share. ;)

For the opening of the day's lesson, our teacher had us look in the hymn book and find our favorite song. Then, we were to look up the scripture references at the bottom of the page. I am ashamed I have never really done this before. There are some great verses hidden in there!

As I read the lyrics of the song, the third verse seemed to call my name.

When through the deep waters I call thee to go,
The rivers of sorrow shall not thee o'erflow,
For I will be with thee, thy troubles to bless,
And sanctify to thee thy deepest distress.

Often times when we go through trials, it can be super hard to see the point of all the suffering and pain we are feeling. Worst of all, it can seem like we are enduring the pain alone.

I love this song because it reminds us that our Savior, Jesus Christ is with us every single step of the way. If he calls us to wade through deep waters, he doesn't just wave goodbye and wish us luck. He guides us, directs us, catches us when we fall, and keeps us afloat. Though the journey is hard, His grace has the power to sanctify our deepest distresses and turn them into our richest blessings. How cool is that?

Now for the scripture reference I talked about earlier:

Image Source

When we build on the firm foundation of Jesus Christ, we are never alone. Even when waters are deep and fires are blazing, the Lord is with us. As we turn to Him, we will find strength to endure.

So keep wading through those waters. Keep fighting those fires. With the Savior's help, you're going to make it. 

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Comment. I dare you.

[Trust me. I only eat ice cream. Not people.]

Also, if you have a blog, feel free to leave me a link. I'd love to get to know you better!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...