Monday, June 2, 2014

Music Monday: Carry On by Olivia Holt

Oh, the internet. Sometimes it makes me laugh. Sometimes it makes me cry. Sometimes it has me shaking my head in wonder at the crazy trends that circulate through it ever so quickly.

Amid the swirling sea of dynamically changing Willy Wonka, Harlem Shake, and Frozen parody sensations, a series of infamous signs has successfully invaded the blogger/pinterest/internet world for several years now. From the classic red and crowned version to the many variations relating to knitting, Netflix, panic attacks, and any other coping method that can be imagined, the message of "keeping calm" and "carrying on" has seemed to resonate with many people. Why? I think it has something to do with the fact that everybody has to go through hard things.

In Olivia Holt's words:

There's always gonna be some canyon in the way.
There's always gonna be a river I cannot cross.
Somewhere along this path that's chosen me
I know I'm gonna fall down, feel lost, feel weak.

All of us-- young, young at heart, ice cream lovers, ice cream haters [do such people really exist?], members of the church, those who have yet to find the truth or who have wandered from it-- every single person in the entire world is bound to have trials. It's how we learn, grow, and become more like our Father in Heaven. However, the fact that adversity is prevalent and necessary doesn't make the hard times fun or easy.

What must we do in these times of trouble? I'll let the little red poster answer that for you. 


How do we "keep calm and carry on" or as Mormon lingo would put it, endure to the end?

2 Nephi 31:20 explains it very eloquently.


I love how that scripture puts it. When hard times come, we are to "press forward", "feast upon the words of Christ", pray, find the direction of God, and keep going no matter how hard it may get.

Ready for the music tie in? Carry On by Olivia Holt has been on my playlist for a month or so now and I'm completely smitten. I know that this isn't how she intended the song to be interpreted, but I like to imagine that the words of the chorus are being spoken by our Savior, Jesus Christ.

No one said this would ever be easy, my love!
But I will be by your side when the impossible rises up.
We will travel this life well-worn,
No matter the cost, no matter how long.
We will leave our footprints behind
And carry on.

No matter what hills, valleys, shadows, or thorns may lie in our path, we can always find strength in the hope of our Savior to "keep calm and carry on".

Who knew that tiny little red sign had such a big message?

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Comment. I dare you.

[Trust me. I only eat ice cream. Not people.]

Also, if you have a blog, feel free to leave me a link. I'd love to get to know you better!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...