Monday, April 27, 2015

The Lord Is My Light FHE Lesson Plan

I love any cause for celebration! (Celebrations usually involve Sugar. Sugar is an ingredient in Cake. Cake is usually followed Ice Cream.) #majorwin

This month marks 100 years since the Family Home Evening program was established! While I wish I could somehow send cake and ice cream through the interwebs to commemorate this momentous day, that technology still awaits development. In the mean time, I've teamed up with some awesome bloggers to create Family Home Evening lesson plans based on the April 2015 sessions of General Conference. Read on for my FHE outline based on The Lord is My Light by Quentin L. Cook.



Opening Song Ideas: Hymn #89 The Lord is My Light, Primary Songbook Pg. 88 On a Golden Springtime, Hymn #304 Teach Me to Walk in the Light.



Ask children to think about an experience where something was hard for them. Discuss how they felt during their time of difficulty. Explain that in General Conference, Elder Cook taught us how we can find joy even during the hard times of our lives.

Read Elder Cooks' account of the sunflowers near his Grandparents' home:
My wife, Mary, has always loved sunflowers. She rejoices when they, in quite improbable places, appear on the roadside. There is a dirt road that leads to the home where my grandparents lived. When we started down that road, Mary would often exclaim, “Do you think we will see those amazing sunflowers today?” We were surprised that sunflowers flourish in soil which has been impacted by farm and snow removal equipment and the accumulation of materials that would not be considered ideal soil for wildflowers to grow. 
One of the remarkable characteristics of young wild sunflowers, in addition to growing in soil that is not hospitable, is how the young flower bud follows the sun across the sky. In doing so, it receives life-sustaining energy before bursting forth in its glorious yellow color.
Watch the following video of a sunflower bud following the sunlight:


Discuss the following quote from Elder Cook:
Like the young sunflower, when we follow the Savior of the world, the Son of God, we flourish and become glorious despite the many terrible circumstances that surround us. He truly is our light and life.
Brainstorm ways we can "Follow the Son". (Examples include reading the scriptures, praying, attending church, going to the temple, keeping the Sabbath Day holy, etc.)

Bear you testimony of the importance of staying near to God through both the happy and trying times in life. 



Flashlight Follow: Turn off all or most of the lights in your house. Ask an older sibling or parent to hold a flashlight and walk to another room where the treats are being kept. Explain that the family is going to pretend to be sunflowers and follow the flashlight to find nourishment, just like real sunflowers do with the sun. (Make sure to clear the pathway of any obstructions before hand. Note: Teeanger's clothing-laden bedroom floors may not be the best place for this activity.) ;)

Gardening: Plant sunflowers together. Through the coming months, be sure to notice how they follow the sunlight while they grow.

Coloring Page: Download the coloring page from Google Drive, here. Have family members write or draw one way they can follow Jesus Christ in each flower petal. 

Click here to download this free coloring page.


Sunflower seeds are always divine! Roasted, salted, plain, or even chocolate covered . . . Mmm my mouth is watering!

You could also try making some sunflower cupcakes,

Image/Tutorial Source
Or whip up a sunflower cake!

Image/Tutorial Source
And of course ice cream is always a good idea.

If you'd like more inspiration, visit these other bloggers to find more great family home evening lessons based on a talk from the April 2015 General Conference! Be sure to leave them comments thanking them for their hard work in putting the lessons together.

Family Home Evening 100th anniversary blog event

Whitney @ Southern Hope | Jocelyn @ We Talk of Christ | Montserrat @ Cranial Hiccups


Happy Monday, and here's to another wonderful hundred years of FHE!
post signature

Note: The original image for the sunflower coloring page was found on MormonShare, here.

12 comments:

  1. Oh, I love it and even the treat is true to form!! Thank you so much for sharing! Getting hungry just looking at it! I love how Elder Cook speaks so tenderly and often of his wife...her likes and dislikes. Wonderful example!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jocelyn! Haha I got pretty hungry while I was typing the post. :P And I really admire Elder Cooks example, too!

      Thanks for reading!

      Hugs!
      Sarah

      Delete
  2. Your blog is BEAUTIFUL, I love all your graphics and the design is precious! That sunflower oreo looks soooo yummy! Great lesson, pinning it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Whitney! And I have been drooling over that sunflower Oreo all day, too. I think I'm going to have to make some tonight. haha :)

      Hugs!
      Sarah

      Delete
  3. Thanks for that cute video! Such a great visual for kids. I love the activity and treat ideas too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Camille! I was so happy when YouTube had a sunflower time lapse. It's so fun to see science in action. Thanks for reading!

      Hugs!
      Sarah

      Delete
  4. I'm so delighted to have discovered your blog today! Thank you for this beautiful lesson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I found your blog today, too! <3 Thanks for reading!

      Hugs!
      Sarah

      Delete
  5. Sometimes it's hard with the wide age ranges of my kids to find a lesson that will appeal to all of them. With the video and activities you have here this one will definitely do the trick! Thanks bunches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Montserrat! <3 This was such a fun collaboration!

      Hugs!
      Sarah

      Delete
  6. Can't believe FHE has been around for 100 years! Thats crazy! I love your blog! Check out mine sometimes!

    haleesthoughts.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your blog, Halee! Thanks for leaving me a link! <3

      Delete

I love hearing from you! Comment. I dare you.

[Trust me. I only eat ice cream. Not people.]

Also, if you have a blog, feel free to leave me a link. I'd love to get to know you better!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...